About Morgan King . . .
Mr. King lecturing at the King Bankruptcy Academy
For 40 years Helping People
Morgan D. King
P.O. Box 2952
Dublin, CA 94568
Morgan King has been practicing law and writing and teaching on legal topics since 1971. A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, and the University of California School of Law at Davis [Martin Luther King Jr. Hall], Mr. King is a member of the California bar, the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, The Consumer Law and Ethics Committees of the American Bankruptcy Institute, formerly a member of the American Bar Association Tax Section Bankruptcy Task Force, the National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees, and other professional organizations. He taught corporation law at St. Mary's College Department of Paralegal Studies for seven years, and taught Bankruptcy law at Lincoln Law School in Northern California. He is Dean of the King Bankruptcy Academy.
Visit the law firm web sites, MorganKing.com, and TaxJustice.com.
Over his career Mr. King has appeared before more than 100 judges and has gained extensive experience in all fields of consumer law, including personal injury accident cases, civil litigation, criminal defense, divorce and family law, civil rights, corporation and business law, tax and bankruptcy.
Multiple areas of expertise - Personal Injury - Bankruptcy - Delinquent Taxes
PERSONAL INJURY CASES - A record of large settlements and experience as trial attorney in personal injury cases.
Morgan D. King has been in law practice for 34 years! During that period he has recovered millions of dollars for his clients. You name it, he's handled it. Car accidents, big-rig accidents, near drowning, serious burns, slip and fall, dog bite, defective boat- steering mechanism, defective soda bottle cap, pedestrian hit by car, bicyclist hit by car, assault and battery, sexual abuse, car runs over ticket booth with ticket-taker inside, cremated ashes scattered in wrong cemetery, medical malpractice, negligent police hot pursuit, elder abuse at convalescent home, wrongful firing of employee, suit to stop school closure, suit for violation of civil rights, etc. His experience includes dozens of jury trials as chief counsel.
For more information on his record in personal injury cases CLICK HERE.
BANKRUPTCY - A NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED EXPERT . . .
Mr. King speaks and lectures frequently on the specialized subject of discharging taxes in bankruptcy, and has appeared before the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys at their annual conventions in San Francisco, Boston, San Antonio, and San Diego, the California State Bar Educational Institute in Palm Springs, the Central District of California Bankruptcy Forum, and numerous states' bar associations (see list of speaking engagements below). In addition, he has been featured at meetings and seminars of enrolled agents, accountants and other professionals in the Western states and Hawaii, and was the principle speaker on this topic at the 1998 Annual Convention of the National Association of Enrolled Agents in Virginia. See list of speaking engagements, below. His book on this subject is used by Federal District Courts and bankruptcy judges, IRS special procedures offices, bankruptcy trustees, bankruptcy lawyers and enrolled agents.
His articles have appeared in the American Bar Journal, The San Francisco Recorder, the Journal of the National Association of Enrolled agents, the Journal of the National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees, Norton's Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, Norton's Bankruptcy Law Advisor, CCH Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure, and various law reviews and other publications. He is, as well, the author of the McGraw Hill course manual, Taxpayers' Remedies in Bankruptcy. See list of articles, below.
HELPING TAXPAYERS WITH DELINQUENT TAX PROBLEMS
Over the last fifteen years Mr. King has erased over $23 million in back taxes for taxpayers, by means of bankruptcy, offers-in-compromise, and litigation of disputed liabilities. This includes personal income taxes, payroll trust-fund taxes, state employment taxes and California sales taxes. Visit his web site for taxpayers in trouble ... www.TaxJustice.com.
He is also the author of the Deskbook of Delinquent Tax Remedies, written for lawyers. He is currently doing a layman / taxpayer edition of this book, to be called The TaxPayer's Guide to Solving Delinquent Tax Problems.
Mr. King was asked to contribute to the work of the ABA Tax Section, Bankruptcy Task Force commentary on the tax proposals of the National Bankruptcy Review Commission.
A LEADER IN HIS PROFESSION ...
Mr. King helped write the recommended Bankruptcy Code amendments on tax discharge issues for the American Bar Association Tax Section Bankruptcy Task force. He wrote the Code amendment recommendations on tax issues for the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys. For two years he served as Chairman of the Committee on Professional Compensation for the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, and served on the Committee on Professional Compensation of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
At its annual convention in New Orleans in May, 2003 the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) honored Mr. King with its prestigious Distinguished Service Award, "In Recognition of [his] Outstanding Service ... provided to the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys and the Initiative and Effort ... Contributed Toward The Advancement of Its Goals and Purposes."
In June of 2010 NACBA hornored Mr. King by selecting him as NACBA Attorney of the Month.
Mr. King's bankruptcy law e-newsletter, The King Bankruptcy Letter, is read by thousands of lawyers, trustees, judges and academics across the country. He sponsors a vast web realm of information, news and resources for tax and consumer bankruptcy lawyers.
Stepping outside of bankruptcy, Mr. King frequently sits as judge for the Alameda County Superior Court when a regular judge is not available. Called a "judge pro tem" (judge for the time being), Mr. King presides over small claims and traffic court. This service is provided "pro bono," meaning Mr. King does not get paid to do it; he does it because he feels it is a professional obligation to help the court system when called upon.
In June of 2002 Morgan King was privileged to meet and dine with former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and his daughter, Irina Virganskaya, in Barcelona, Spain. The guest of Rotary President Richard King and his wife, Sheri, Morgan shared discussions of global issues as well as reminiscences of Mr. Gorbachev's life in Russia and Ukraine. King has previously traveled to Moscow and Leningrad to study the Soviet legal system (prior to the fall of the USSR)
In past years Mr. King helped to start, and was editor-in-chief of, JURIS, a news periodical mailed to all California Lawyers. He was pictured in Newsweek Magazine for his state-of-the-art use of computer technology to design and publish the magazine.
Mr. King's two brothers are also lawyers practicing in the Tri-Valley area. The eldest, Richard King, previously served as World President of Rotary International, and Roy is a noted trial lawyer with the firm.
MALPRACTICE FORENSIC EXPERT
Morgan King is regularly hired as the "forensic" expert witness in tax bankruptcy malpractice cases, and he advises lawyers and other professionals across the nation on virtually a daily basis on the subject of discharging taxes in bankruptcy.
A LEADER IN HIS COMMUNITY ...
Mr. King formerly served as an officer in the United States Army, Field Artillery (reserve. 1970 - 1980.)
Mr. King has volunteered countless hours of his time through the years in service to his community. Among other things;
Was appointed to the City of San Leandro Mayor's Select Committee on the Future of San Leandro. 1972.
Served as a homeowners' association president and architectural review board member, and helped revise the CC&Rs and architectural guidelines. 1976-78.
Served as President of the Board of The 7th Step Foundation (helping ex-convicts reenter society), 1971-73.
Was a "den mother" for his son's local cub scout troop. 1996-97.
In 1999 wrote the draft for the City of Dublin's Measure M (to preserve open space and natural habitat in West Dublin) and successfully served as the campaign manager to get it adopted by the voters in the 2000 general election.
Served as advisor to Dublin Little Theater Main Stage, a nonprofit corporation dedicated to serious amateur theater in Dublin, California. 1998-99.
And, He devoted time as the advisor / coach to the Dublin High School Mock Trial Club. 2004.
One year he dressed up and played the role of Santa Claus for the Sunol Glen Elementary School's annual kids' Christmas event; his daughter was one of his elves.
On Jan. 7 2010 Mr. King was appointed to the chairmanship of the City of Dublin Planning Commission (Dublin, California).
After 8 years on the Planning Commission, was appointed by the Mayor to the Dublin Heritage and Fine Arts Commission, with the assignment to create and promote the Dublin New Talent Film Festival. 2011.
Was elected to the Board of Directors of the Dublin Historic Preservation Association. 2010.
Was appointed to the Advisory Board of the Tri-Valley Conservancy (protecting open space). 2011
Is co-Chairman of Save Doolan Canyon 2014, a group working with the City of Dublin to protect the canyon from development.
ABOUT THE LAW FIRM ...
The law firm, main office located in Dublin, California, is what is called in the legal industry a "boutique" law firm. This is a small firm with a narrow focus of expertise. Morgan King is the author of several books, including Taxpayers Remedies in Bankruptcy, Discharging Taxes in Bankruptcy, Handbook of Taxpayers Rights & Remedies, and several other professional practice desk books. See list of books below.
In addition, the King lawyers regularly tap the resources, experience and advice of lawyers, accountants and enrolled agents all across the country. This is a network of tough, experienced professionals all dedicated to one task ... helping taxpayers with delinquent tax problems.
Mr. King is "Of Counsel" at the law offices of King, King, and King, in Pleasanton, California.
AUTHORBOOKS BY MORGAN KING ...
Mr. King has written the following books for the legal profession ...
- California Corporate Practice Guide 2nd
- Deskbook of Delinquent Tax Remedies
- Discharging Taxes In Bankruptcy
- Chapter 7 Law & Practice
- Chapter 13 Law & Practice
- McGraw-Hill course manual, Taxpayers' Remedies in Bankruptcy
- Attorneys' Fees in Consumer Bankruptcy Cases
- King's Guide to Practice Under the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005
- King's Discharging Taxes Under the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005
- King's Digest of BAPCPA Cases 2007
- King's Fundamentals Of Consumer Bankruptcy Law & Practice.
- King's Legal Guide to IRS Offers-in-Compromise
- King's Legal Guide to IRS Collection Due Process
- King's Guided to Abusive Debt Collection Practices
For more information about the bankruptcy books listed above, go to Mr. King's publishing web sit, BankruptcyBooks.com
AND FOR THE LAYMAN ...
- How To Rebuild Your Credit
- Living Together And The Law
ARTICLES BY MORGAN KING ...
[Entire text of several articles may be read, simply click]
Mr. King has authored the following articles in professional publications ...
- Avoiding Tax Liens on Personal Property in Bankruptcy (31 California Western Law Review 1, Fall, 1994) (this article was cited in I.R.S. v. DIPERNA, 195 B.R. 358, 361 (E.D.N.C. 1996).
- Clearing the Books of Back Taxes: Bankruptcy, Chapters 11 and 13 (The San Francisco Recorder, Nov. 13, 1992)
- More Than One Way Out: Some Taxes Can Be Eliminated in Bankruptcy Proceedings (The San Francisco Recorder, Nov. 6, 1992)
- Voluntary Payments or Chapter 13? (Journal of the National Association of Enrolled Agents, Vol. 9, No. 3, Spring 1992)
- Ethics And Malpractice Issues in Chapter 13 (Norton's Bankruptcy Advisor, Feb. 1999).
- Compensation of Debtors' Attorneys in Consumer Bankruptcy - The Failure of Public Policy in Actual Practice and Suggestions For Reform (1996-1997 Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law)
- Inadequate Compensation of Debtors' Attorneys is Impairing the Chapter 13 System (NACTT Quarterly - National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees - Vol. 8, No. 4, July 1996).
- Ethics And Malpractice Issues in Consumer Bankruptcy Practice (The Community Tax Law Report, Fall 1998)
- Emerging and Unsettled Issues in Tax Discharge Cases (CCH Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure, June-July 1999)
- Is a Tax Report The Same Thing as a Tax Return? An Emerging Issue in Discharge of State Taxes in Bankruptcy (Spidel State Tax Newsletter, Fall, 1999)
- Chapter 13 and 109(e) Debt Limits; A Guide To The Bramble Bush (Norton Bankruptcy Law Advisor, April, 2000)
- Discharging California Sales Taxes in Bankruptcy (Spidel State Tax Newsletter, June, 2000)
- Saving a Business Using Chapter 13 (San Francisco Recorder - 1992)
- How Is a Tax Lien on An ERISA Retirement Plan Treated in Chapter 13? (Norton Bankruptcy Law Advisor, June, 2001)
- How Bankruptcy Reform May Do The IRS More Harm Than Good (CCH Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure, June/July 2003)
- Between the Charybdis of Biggar and the Scylla of Lamie: How Is A Consumer Bankruptcy Lawyer Supposed to Be Paid? (Norton Bankruptcy Law Advisor, June/July 2004).
- Bankruptcy Reform: The Discharge of Delinquent Taxes in Bankruptcy, (CCH Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure, June-July 2005)
- Bankruptcy Reform Did Not Eliminate A Taxpayer's Right To Discharge Taxes in Bankruptcy (CCH Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure Feb. - March 2007)
- When the Tax Court Takes the Taxpayer's Side in Collection Disputes, (CCH Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure Oct./Nov. 2007)
- Offers-in-Compromise: Will it Hurt Your Client's Bankruptcy Opportunity? (CCH Journal of Tax Practice & Procedure May 2010.
- What is a Tax Return For Purposes of Tax Dischargeability? Norton Bankruptcy Law Advisor September 2010
- Tolstoy - McCoy - Late Filed Tax Returns and Discharge of Taxes Norton Bankruptcy Law Advisor, March 2012
- Fee Splitting: Between The Devil and a Boulder, Norton Bankruptcy Law Advisor, July 2012
- McCoy: Are You Out of Your Vulcan Mind? NACBA Newsletter March 2003, and NCBRC March 2013.
- The IRS Substitute For Return ... The Kiss of Death? or Hold Your Breath? California Bar Association, Tax Section Journal of Tax Litigation, Feb. 2015
- Discharging Taxes in Bankruptcy and IRS Offers-in-Compromise Compared., New York York State Society of CPAs, The CPA Journal, date TBD 2015..
- Sales Tax Discharge Issues in Bankruptcy, Consumer Bankruptcy Journal, Summer, 2016 (NACBA)
- What is an Equivalent Report or Notice"? Consumer Bankruptcy Journal,
MORGAN KING lecturing on discharging taxes at the 2003 convention of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys in New Orleans.
MR. KING'S WEB SITES
In addition to listing great domain names for sale, Mr. King maintains a bank of web sites under the umbrella site, King Bankruptcy Media (BankruptcyMedia.com). These sites include -
ACTIVE KEY MORGAN KING WEB SITES -
- MorganKing.com. Mr. King's law practice home page.
- TaxJustice.com. This is Mr. King's law firm web site for taxpayers in trouble.
- BankruptcyBooks.com. This site showcases KingsPress, books and products written or marketed by Morgan King. These include practice deskbooks on discharging taxes, the fundamentals of Chapter 7, the fundamentals of Chapter 13, Attorneys' fees and ethics, and rebuilding credit. Other books and products by other publishers are listed as well.
- CiteCases.com. An affordable online case research service.
- BankruptcyAcademy.com is Mr. King's three-day educational seminar on discharging taxes in bankruptcy. The program will eventually expand to include in-depth courses on the fundamentals of consumer bankruptcy practice. The 2001 program will include a segment on marketing tax-bankruptcy services by individual lawyers or small firms.
- BankruptcyMedia.com. This site is the central home site for all of Mr. King's bankruptcy related web sites.